Monday, February 4, 2013

HIDDEN GEMS + GOOD FINDS




 We moved from Charlotte, NC to New York just two days before "Super Storm Sandy" hit. Marc was already in New York for work so I took the 13 hour drive with Maximus, Levi & my Mom. It was a crazy experience. I hadn't seen the apartment except for a video our friend took and sent to us. Our moving truck was set to deliver our things two days after our move but you guessed it...that didn't happen. We slept on a used pullout that the previous renters left and borrowed pots, pans, towels etc.. from my sister. It has been a real adjustment moving from a 2600 sq ft house to a city apartment. Despite the downsize I have been determined to make this place cozy and feel like HOME!!!


I'm often asked, "where do you find these things?" I hope this post can help you in finding a few gems of your own, to make your house/apartment a HOME. 


I think our love for vintage things, old things, beautiful things came after we bought our first house on Long Island in Mineola, NY. I went to my first estate/yard sale and I was hooked.

Starting in the living room I found that awesome tufted chair, left of the sectional at Value Village for $30. I also found that sweet quilt and knitted blanket there for $5 + $3. Super deal. 

Some of the pillows were made from napkins I bought on clearance at Target for $3. 18X18 size napkins for 18X18 pillows. The teal pillows came from Habitat ReStore for $2.

Our coffee tables {wood spindles} were purchased at The Depot at Gibson Mill for $25. I remembered Marc coming home one day talking about this new design blog he found. Yes, my husband loves design blogs {CRAZY!!} He couldn't stop talking about these wooden spindles turned coffee tables. Levi + I took a ride to The Depot while Marc was away and there they were. We just have to put some casters on them + then they'll be complete.

The rug as previously asked came from IKEA for $69. We splurged. 

That AWESOME painting on the wall came from Marc himself. He's traditionally a painter turned graphic designer. 

Our new shelf also came from IKEA $14 + those darling frames came from Goodwill.

Maximus, well we adopted him but for a very good price...hahaha - $25. We LOVE him so much +  on this particular day he decided he wanted to be in every picture. If you are able to adopt a pet, I highly recommend it. There are so many animals without a home especially after the storm.



No comments:

Post a Comment