Monday, February 18, 2013

SPICY BLACK BEAN + BUTTERNUT SQUASH SOUP

  
It's been chilly here in NYC...burrrr!!  Perfect time for a hot + healthy soup. I would love to share one of my favorite soups of the season.  Sometimes I'll get an idea and just mess around with it + see what comes of it.  I did my best to put together a recipe that is quick + easy. 

ENJOY!!!!


If you prefer bag beans just follow the instructions on the bag. 
When in a pinch I like to grab and go. Just be sure you wash + rinse the beans well!!



As a Mom to a toddler sometimes I'll buy the precut butternut squash at 
Trader Joe's when they don't the whole one in stock. Great time saver.



Be sure to toss the kale in last. 20 minutes or so into cooking and let simmer on low heat.

   


   2 cans black beans {rinse + drained well}
   1 Tbsp. coconut or extra virgin olive oil
   1 Tbsp. garlic powder
   1/2 Tbsp. red pepper flakes   
   1 Tbsp. chili powder
   1 medium sweet yellow onion, chopped
   3 cloves garlic, chopped
   3 celery stalks
   1/2 bag of kale, chopped (heaping 2 cups)
   3 cups cubed butternut squash (sweet potato would be good too)
   3 cups low sodium chicken broth

   avocado, for garnish
   cilantro, for garnish

In a heavy pot, warm the oil over medium heat. Add the chopped onion and celery, saute until lightly         brown about 5 - 7 minutes. Add the garlic, squash, beans, spices and broth. Turn the heat down to a gentle simmer, cover the pot and cook for about 15 minutes to allow vegetable to cook.

At the 20 minute mark add the kale to the soup and stir. Let simmer for 10 minutes for all the flavors to blend. I like my soup chunky but you can also run in through the blend for a smoother consistency.

Pour into your favorite bowl and garnish with avocado and chopped cilantro.

Feel free to leave feedback or let me know how yours turned out.

Thanks for stopping by!!


All images taken with iPhone 4S

  





















No comments:

Post a Comment